Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince

Old Contacts Eye in trouble!!

WORRIED ABOUT POSSIBLE BLINDNESS IN THE RIGHT EYE My boyfriend has contacts and has not taken them out in four months. He is not sure iuf the contact is still in the eye but it appears not to be. I have 20/20 and do not see the lens. He has been messing with his eye and it is very red. I gave him eye drops and put a warm compress on his eye. What do I do next?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer

Is his vision reduced as of now?

Has he got watering of eyes / photophobia/ pain?

Are both the eyes red since four months ?

Or is the redness of recent onset say few days back?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
His eye is red and irritated claims that vision is worse than it is without corrective lenses, the redness started today when he started picking at your eye looking for the contact lebs

If the contacts were to be still in the eye after four months of not removing them, the eyes would not have been normal at all, even sleeping for few hours contacts with the contact lenses on can lead to severe corneal problems and the cornea gets swollen and presents with reduced vision, pain , photophobia. Since his eye has become red since one day only , it may not be due to retained lenses ( which you have already verified ). But a detailed eye check is necessary to rule out a corneal involvement in known history of contact lens wear. Till then he can instill lubricating eye drops like Refresh tears , 1 drop 4 times a day for soothening effect.

It is better to get his eyes examined by an ophthalmologist for the needful ( slit lamp examination ).

Thanks and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you. I wanted to know what you think he should do tonight. We are out of town and he obviuosly needs new contacts. I will make sure he gets an appt here. Is is nececessary to jeepnwarm or cld compresses on the eye that iss problematic? Also, he has the 4 mo old contact in the eye not effected so, I assume that this contacty needs to come out as well. Please lmk other than drops, if tger is anything else that should be done before goung to the doctor.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Please lmk thtat other than drops of there is anything else that needs to be done before I can get him into the doc. Your info was very helpful just want to make sure that I am doung eveything right t5o ensure that his vision is ok. That is all I want to know so, that I can pay you and get some sleep thanks :)

Other than drops there is nothing much to be done at home. Surely a recent onset redness will be diagnosed and treatment once started will take care of that. Don't think that will be the cause for permanent blindness. For the time being his eyes can be kept off contact lenses till the whole redness issue settles down and he can use spectacles till then to see better.

Thanks and best wishes