Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

I have been diagnosed with 3 retinal hemorrages in my left

I have been diagnosed with 3 retinal hemorrages in my left eye and one in my right. My Retinal specialist has diagnosed me from having nothing to Leukemia.

I am worried. I was sent to my primary dr. and he said the chances of something serious are small since I had a full physical in late October and all was perfect.

My labs don't come back until tomorrow but my anxiety is getting the best of me.

Please help....
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer

It would be difficult to diagnose leukemia just based on a retinal examination alone and can only be confirmed by blood tests. Because the retinal hemorrhages are non-specific signs and can be seen in many other conditions like diabetes ( commonest) , CRVO, bleeding disorders. So I guess you'll have to wait for the blood test reports to come, moreover leukemia is quite rare to be diagnosed as far as retinal hemorrhages are concerned.

Thanks and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for the kind response. Is it possible this could be caused by my chronic bronchitis which leads to some uncontrollable coughs? The Dr. asked me if i hold my nose closed to clear my ears and I do but I also cough with the same type of feeling.
Thank you for the reply

Very severe coughing can cause retinal hemorrhages in some individuals though it is not common. If you have had severe coughing for quite sometime , it can be one of the explanations but only after the other causes of retinal hemorrhages are ruled out.

Thanks and best wishes