Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

Are there any treatments available to permanently change eye

Are there any treatments available to permanently change eye dominance from your left eye to your right eye and if so how long would it take?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 6 years ago.

What is the reason for change in eye dominance?
Is the vision equal in both eyes?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i have 20 15 vision in both eyes. My issue is that i am a member of a Marine Force Reconniassance unit and am a right handed shooter, so i look through my optic with my right eye. My left eye prevents me from aquiring my targets quickly enough with my right eye for our more advanced close combat drills. The only option I can think of is to re-learn how to shoot left handed but that would take alot of time, and our weapon systems are built around the more common right handed shooter.
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 6 years ago.

To my knowledge there are no known treatments to alter the dominance of one eye over another. Some people do not even demonstrate a dominance of one eye over another and other people have a strong dominance.

Some people have anecdotally practiced shooting with their non-dominant eye and learned how to do that reasonably well, but the problem then becomes when forced into a stressful situation, will you be able to subconsciously switch that preference for the originally dominant eye. It becomes a sticky situation.

But to address the question, I do not know of any way to permanently change this.

Does this address your question?

Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology