Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

20 days ago I had a large amount of floaters appear in one

20 days ago I had a large amount of floaters appear in one eye. About 3 days later I started seeing flashes of light from the same eye. I have been to see two ophthaalmogists,and they see no tares. Is this normal to continue for this long of a period of time? I saw the first ophthalmologist on the 3rd day and went back to another 4 days later when the flashes started. We are getting ready to go on a trip for the summer and I am concerned about this eye. Any advise? Thank You
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 6 years ago.

You are likely experiencing a PVD or posterior vitreous detachment, a common event that happens in many people.

You have a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes. Over time as it liquefies, this gel material collapses on itself and pulls away from the wall of the eye. In the process it can stimulate the retina -- causing the flashes that you see. This may persist over the next few months.

You did the right thing to see your ophthalmologist to check for retinal tears or detachment. If no defects are found, then nothing needs to be done at this time. You should be rechecked in 2-3 months to see if anything has changed since the last exam.

It is important for you to be aware of the signs of a retinal detachment. If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightening storm), or a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. You would need to contact your ophthalmologist promptly in that case.

Please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for assisting you.