Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

I have inflammation in the back of my left eye, swelling around

I have inflammation in the back of my left eye, swelling around the blood vessels in my eye. MRI showed white matter and that was on the left side of my brain. Reacurring joint pain in my fingers. Fatigue. And no doctor knows what it is causing these symptoms. Im taking predisnone eye drops for the eye and it isnt helping. what tests could i have done.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.

Are you referring to white changes in the gray matter of your brain? What's the ophthalmologist's diagnosis? Have you seen a neurologist?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, theyre talking about the fatty matter I guess. I seen a neurologist, he seen the report and said he didnt know why they refferred me to him. But the more I read up on ms, the more I dont understand the neurologist.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Also would this have to do with E antibody during pregnancy, because its all started happening at once a month after my 4 year old was born.
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 4 years ago.

Tests for diseases such as Sarcoidosis (Lysozyme, Angiotensin converting enzyme, chest xrays), Lyme disease (Lyme blood titer), Bechet's disease (HLA haplotype), Systemic Lupus Erythematosis (ANA), further workup for MS (spinal tap).

A fluorescein angiogram is a study where dye is injected into an IV and pictures of your retina are taken as the dye flows through the blood vessels of the retina. This is something that can be done to further characterize the inflammation in the back of the eye.

Does this address your concern?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!

Disclaimer: My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute an informed medical opinion or recommendation. For an informed medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What about The E antibody I carried when I was pregnant? Can this effect my immune system? There are no other diseases to test for? The lyme test was okay, neg. The eye angiogram showed inflammation in the back of the eye and swollen around the vessels in my eye. Had that test already. Had an Ace test for Sarcoid already, showed normal just a bit on the high normal side.

The E antibody is an Rh-incompatibility issue. It's existence has implications for future children, usually not for the mother. It's existence would not account for your problems in your brain, your eye, and your joints.

For sarcoidosis, the blood test for lysozyme is also a test that should be done, as well as a chest xray to evaluate for sarcoidosis. Were either of these performed?

In addition, Behcet's disease can cause this spectrum of problems. Do you have a history of oral and/or genital ulcers? Was a HLA haplotype blood test done, do you know?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Im not sure on the test for Bechets, but no ulcers. I do get lumps on the front of my lower shins.

What kind of specialist should I ask to be referred to from my opthamologist. I am scared and feel like non of my doctors know or care whats wrong with me. I have very blurry vision and pressure in my left eye.

Seeing a respirologist but not until end of september. Chest xray done and was normal. Ace test done, normal but on high side.

I would recommend that you see a uveitis specialist and possibly a rheumatologist. A uveitis specialist is an ophthalmologist who specializes in intraocular inflammation like you have. You would probably receive your most bang for your buck with that specialist, but I believe a rheumatologist consult should be done as well. Also, a second opinion with another comprehensive ophthalmologist is never a bad thing.
Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology