Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

I have for some time had swollen tissue below each eye that

I have for some time had swollen tissue below each eye that appears to be caused by allergies. It sits right on the cheekbones and I've not found any creams to reduce this swelling/fluid retention. Any suggestions on who I should see? I went to the ENT and allergy medication as well as nasal spray did not seem to help.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer

The skin around the eyes has very loose areolar tissue which can accomodate lot of fluid causing puffiness. This accumalation of fluid can be due to various causes such as allergies, sinusitis, contact dermatitis, hypertension / diabetes with renal complications, anaemia with hypoproteinemia etc. You need to ascertain whether the swelling is more of constant type or fluctuates such as more in the day and less after a sleep. A physician should be able to examine each system in detail and do a blood work also. The treatment is symptomatic and treatment of the underlying cause. Symptomatic treatment is to start anti-inflammatory such as Tab. Diclofenac 50 mg + Serratiopeptidase 10 mg , 1 tablet twice a day for 4- 5 days. Anti-allergy medicines like Tab.Cetrizine 10 mg once daily at bedtime help to reduce any allergy. Along with this once the underlying cause is determined , the appropriate treatment can be started.

Thanks and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Is Cetrizine an over the counter drug and can it be taken with Zyrtec. I take Zyrtec daily.

Zyrtec is the same as cetrizine ( generic name) . If you are already on cetrizine daily, chances are that allergy may not be the only cause and a systemic evaluation is better.

Thanks and best wishes