Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

Is anyone familiar with the use of marijuana to treat glaucoma

Is anyone familiar with the use of marijuana to treat glaucoma? This has been a debated issue for many years. There are advocates for medical marijuana use that have demonstrated some decrease in intraocular pressure (IOP) when marijuana is used at very high doses. Marijuana is still a schedule I drug, however, meaning that there are no approved medical uses. Its use has not been proven to be safe or effective for this purpose. This use has never been approved by the FDA. That said, there are more effective drugs on the market now that have fewer side effects and are preferred by the medical community.

You are precisely correct. Marijuana can lower intraocular pressure, but the effect is quite transitory and the effect is not significant. In very rare cases it could be added to a medical regimen to induce an additional IOP-lowering effect if surgery were not even lowering pressure enough. However, this situation would be quite uncommon. Because there are so many effective IOP-lowering drops on the market that have fewer side effects, medical marijuana becomes nearly irrelevant.

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!

Disclaimer: My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute an informed medical opinion or recommendation. For an informed medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.