Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon
25472284

These are the symptoms ive noticed 1. a little hard to

These are the symptoms i've noticed:
1. a little hard to explain, but searching the internet the closest thing I can find to it is ghosting. I only notice it with things that are high contrast, mainly lights at night. It basically is a blurred, lighter image almost like a shadow.
2. I noticed the next thing while looking through the scope of a gun. When I first looked the cross-hairs were clear but after focusing on the target the cross-hairs blurred. I couldn't refocus to make them clear without looking at something else first.
3. my eyes burn about 50% of the time, eye drops alleviate burning for awhile but don't fix the other problems.
4. pain around the brow bone occasionally
What is happening with my eyes?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer:

It is likely that you are experiencing the symptoms of dry eyes due to abnormal tear film formation and/or eye strain with focusing difficulty. This could also be due to imbalance in the refractive error power/astigmatism of the eye(s). The pain around the eyebrow is likely due to the strained eye muscles. Instilling the eye drop helps briefly help re-establish a properly wet cornea. I suggest that you follow-up with your eye doctor for closer evaluation with the check of the eye refractive error for any uncorrected astigmatism and/or cornea changes. In the meantime, I suggest that you use preservative free tear drop such as Refresh or Genteal tear drop 4 times daily during the day, and Genteal gel or lacri-lube gel at bedtime.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
If this is dry eyes or eye strain, will using the drops and gel as recommended eventually correct the problem or is it something I will deal with for the rest of my life?
If it is an astigmatism, is the condition correctable?
I've read a few forums with people with similar symptoms and diagnosis, and the majority continue to have the problems. I realize everyone is different and it's difficult to give me a certain answer without a thorough exam, but I would at least like to know whether or not it is likely to lead to a worse condition i.e. blindness
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 6 years ago.
Thank you so much:

If this is due to dry eyes, using tear drop and gel initially for few weeks will correct the problem, then you will need to use the drops only as needed (mostly about twice daily). Be sure to use only the preservative free tear drop as I suggested, as many other tear drops contain benzalkonium chloride which can further irritate and affect the cornea focusing. Avoid drops like visine or clear eyes. In general, such dry eyes could be caused by stress, anxiousness/anxiety, constant exposure of eyes to fan or wind, allergy or side effect of medications, among others. If this is due to astigmatism, it is easily correctable with checking for prescription glasses or contacts. In general, such problem will not get worse to cause blindness or any severe eye problem.