Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

My brother recently got hit in the eye resulting in loss of

My brother recently got hit in the eye resulting in loss of sight in his right eye, the doctors could find nothing wrong, but hte next day he could no longer see out of either eye. He has since regained sight in his left eye but in a tunnel vision way. The doctors can find no reason for this other then maybe stress or migraines. Is there anyting else it can be? What can we do?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 4 years ago.

Hello and thanks for your question.

Please allow me to ask a few questions to better understand the situation.

Did/does your brother wear contact lenses or glasses and if so, do these lenses help him see any better?

What was the mechanism of action of the trauma? What was he hit by, how fast was it going? Did he lose consciousness with this accident?

Does he have a history of migraine headaches?

Can you give me a more precise level of vision in the right eye? Can he count fingers, see hand motions, can he only see light or not at all, or can he see the big E on the chart or better?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
He was prescribed glasses at about 7 years old. He was hit while lying down from what im told several times straight to eye and he said that when hit he saw the 3-d or squiggling lines and patterns one would if they push or held their eyes tightly closed. The vision in the right goes from nothing to a dot or bright dot. He responds to bright lights and his eye pressure is normal when tested. He has severe headaches when the vision comes in. No he has no history of migraines. He couldnt sign his own name on papers put in front of him at hospital. He has sorta tunnel vision form the way its told ot me no vision on his sides only a small piece of vision in fornt of him in the left.

So is there times when he can see well / close to normal out of the right eye (the non-traumatized eye)? In other words, does the vision fluctuate enough that he can see more than just a bright dot out of the right, untraumatized eye?

What level of vision does he have in his left eye (the traumatized eye)? count fingers? hand motion only? perceiving light only? or is it better?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The right eye is the tramatized eye. The left is the untramatized one and his vision is back and forth in it. He goes from nothing to tunnel. The right goes from nothing for long periods to a dot. He has had more days of no vision then days with the dot as of late and this only started happening alittle over a week ago. His left eye started after he left the hospital for his right eye. Making that about a week. Out of the last 9 days he has had vision in his right 2 days at best seeing only a dot and his left tunnel vision 4 days and nothing the rest. I just asked how he was doing and he can only see the outline of things .
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Every dr they have seen says his eyes are normal. But noone wants to do an MRI yet, they did a catscan and it was normal. But they are now saying it could be his brain. They say he has a mild case of lattice degeneration but thats not the problem. His left eye has enough sight to make out outlines but there is nothing coming from the right.

Assuming there was no trauma to his right eye, then there are very few things, if any, that could be causing blindness in the right eye. Rarely, facial/orbital trauma can cause trauma to blood vessels in an area called the cavernous sinus, which has blood vessel connections to the both eyes. This may cause a carotid-cavernous fistula (CCF for short). In this case, however, there are usually at least some signs to suggest something pathological happening in the non-traumatized eye; however, these signs can be subtle and a CT scan may not pick up this type of problem. This seems less likely however.

I would say that it is not normal that your brother is unable to sign his name when the paper is put directly in front of him and does not coincide with vision loss in his right eye.

Other than that I do not have any possible explanations for vision loss in his right eye. A consultation with a neuro-ophthalmologist might be the best thing for your brother.

Does this address your concerns?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter. I will also be happy to answer any other questions you have until you have the information you need.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!

Disclaimer: My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute an informed medical opinion or recommendation. For an informed medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is it possible that it is his brain? Would you agree that stress or migraines could be the cause even if he has no history of them?

As far as the vision loss in the untraumatized eye, migraines can cause intermittent vision loss, but likely not the degree of vision loss you are referring to.

A traumatic brain injury is unlikely to cause a unilateral vision loss (vision loss in the untraumatized eye). The eye that was traumatized may be permanenatly damaged from a traumatic optic neuropathy, which, if that is the case, means his prognosis for useful vision in that eye is poor.

It is still clear to me why he has vision loss in the untraumatized eye, but for his brain to be the cause of it, he would need a much more significant overall brain injury and it would not cause cyclical vision changes.

Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology