Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince

When I go to bed, and the lights are out, I get a light area,

When I go to bed, and the lights are out, I get a light area, usually the shape of a Cashew, with both eyes. The cashews together form a circle (that don't touch each other), and some time they are a mix of irregular round each eye. In the morning, when the room is lighter, the images are dark. After I am up and about, they are gone, and don't reappear until the night in bed. Sometime, with a small light at night, the images turn reddish. This has been going on for a very long time, and my eye Doctor said a year or more ago that he finds everything o/k. I am 82 years of age, and concerned because my mother had retina detachment in one eye when she was about my age, that required laser, and she lost the central vision in one eye.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer

The symptoms you have described are not that of a retinal detachment. They are more suggestive of a posterior vitreous detachment which is known to be associated with various visual flashes of light of varied sizes and are more obvious in the dark than in bright light. This is relatively harmless condition and does not require any treatment. Also the fact that the eye exam has shown no abnormality and the retina is fine.

Retinal detachment presents with a sudden decrease in vision more like a curtain falling in the visual field and requires urgent treatment in such a case not otherwise.

Thanks and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.