Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince

I had conjunctivitis, which resulted in something different.

I had conjunctivitis, which resulted in something different. Now only my upper eyelids are infected. They are swollen and the skin on them is dry and crusty and partly reddish. Erithromythin prescribed by my doctor can control it but does not eradicate. Doctor says iI must take erithromythin for ever.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer

You are more likely to have blepharitis ( inflammation of the lid margin) . It responds well to oral Tab.Doxycycline 100 mg twice a day for 14 days. Along with this you need to give warm compresses to the lid margin, wash the lids with 50:50 diluted baby shampoo, gently massage the lid margin with the finger tips. This will not only take care of the blepharitis but also any associated meibomitis ( inflammation of the oil secreting glands in the lids ).If the lids are swollen , you can take combination of tab.diclofenac 50 mg + serratiopeptidase 10 mg , 1 tablet twice a day for 3 days.Erythromycin is not be taken forever .

Thanks and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My doctor says it is cellulites, I looked on the inter net, it looks like it. There is no discharge at all. It is not the lid around the eye, it is upper only, as far as to the eyebrows. The skin looks a bit like eczema.
If cellulitis has been diagnosed , it must be preseptal cellulitis which can occur following lid infections ( but seldom following conjunctivitis) . It is unlikely to be orbital cellulitis which is more grave and requires urgent treatment.

For preseptal cellulitis, the treatment is oral antibiotics ( you have already finished a short course of erythromycin ). Since you do respond to antibiotics and symptoms recur later , the focus of infection has to be detected. Sometimes we tend to overlook other than eye problems such as adjoining sinuses which can be culprits and carrying low grade infection which can spread to cause preseptal cellulitis. Apart from the anti-inflammatory ( tab.diclofenac + serratiopeptidase ) , doxycycline may not be the first choice in this situation and rather I would prefer Tab. Augmentin 625 mg twice a day for 5 days. If you find this to be a recurrent problem, then you may need to get your sinuses checked from an ENT doctor for any focus of infection.

Hope this helps.

Thanks and best wishes

Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince