Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

I have a floating fuzzy black line in my right eye goes where

I have a floating fuzzy black line in my right eye goes where ever I look. What is it????? Do I need to worry about it? I'm a diabetic.....is that possibly causing it?????
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 6 years ago.

This sounds like a "floater". This is a piece of the jelly in the back of the eye which has detached from the back of the eye. This is a very common phenomenon. Usually these floaters get better by either breaking up, drifting out of your view, or the brain learning how to ignore them.

Rarely, these can be accompanied by tears, holes, or breaks in the retina. If that is the case, then a retinal detachment can occur. The signs of a retinal detachment include sudden onset of many floaters, flashing or arcing lights, a part of your vision that you cannot see light through or a large drop in your vision that does not improve.

Regardless, with this new floater your ophthalmologist should examine your retina thoroughly.

Does this address your concerns?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter. I will also be happy to answer any other questions you have until you have the information you need.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!

Disclaimer: My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute an informed medical opinion or recommendation. For an informed medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.