Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

My eyes tear all the time. Its very annoying. Is there anything

My eyes tear all the time. It's very annoying. Is there anything I can do for this?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 6 years ago.

Unfortunately, there are many reasons why eyes tear. It can be due to dry eyes, allergies, or even eyelids that are not in the right position anymore.

Eyes that itch primarily in the corners and are associated with other signs of systemic allergies may be tearing due to eye allergies, which can be helped by cool compresses, artificial tears, and if need be, a prescription allergy drop.

Unfortunately, it is difficult to tell through a historical account whether the eyelids are malpositioned; this is something that would have to be analyzed by an eye doctor through an exam.

Dry eyes are a common reason for tearing. There are also many causes for dry eyes and unless they are all treated, the symptoms can continue. Some people don't make their own tears very well and need prescription medicine to help that process. Some people have inflammation in their eyelids (blepharitis) which leads to dry eye. Unfortunately, these causes are, again, only able to be diagnosed on exam by an eye doctor. I would recommend a thorough exam for tearing. If you feel like your eye doctor is not adequately investigating the causes or prescribing a treatment which is not working, you may consider seeking a second opinion.

I will say, though, that when using artificial tears to treat dry eyes, unless the tears are used consistently, every day, several times per day (at least 3-4), then they are only effective for a few seconds after taking them. Consistent artificial tear use helps to treat dry eyes when they are necessary.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute an informed medical opinion or recommendation. For an informed medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.

Does this answer your question?