Dr. Chan
Dr. Chan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified in ophthalmology
17282639

My black eye wont go away for 5 weeks. I got the black eye

Customer Question

My black eye won't go away for 5 weeks. I got the black eye from a bar fight. I do not have any pain or problem with my eye. My eye sight was perfect right after the injury so I did not go to a doctor. Now its been 5 weeks and there is still a black scar under my eye. I am kinda concerned whether it will be permanent. Any help please?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Chan replied 6 years ago.

Even though the blood and swelling have cleared, sometimes the discoloration remains for much longer. This is due to the pigment left behind when the body absorbs the blood. I would give it a little longer (another month or so). In the long run, there are creams, lasers, peels that can be tried to remove it.

Thanks,

Edited by Dr. Chan on 5/25/2010 at 12:57 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

so, there isn't anyt hi

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
So, there isn't anything I can apply or eat that can quicken the process?? I am applying Vitamin E oil on the scar and it is still taking too much time. I am concerned that this scar will become permanent. Is there a chance that this will turn into a calcium deposit and then the only way to get it out is through an operation?
Expert:  Dr. Chan replied 6 years ago.

Vitamin K cream is also very helpful.

Some people have used lemon juice or hydrogen peroxide several times a day to the skin. There are commercial fade creams and skin lighteners available. If those don't work, lasers and chemical peels can be performed.

Thanks and hope this helps.