Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon

why is my close up vision worse after cataract surgery

why is my close up vision worse after cataract surgery???

Welcome to Just Answer:

Removing cataract (the natural lens in the eye) took away the ability of the eye lens to change its shape in order or increases or reduce its power to focus object images at the back of the eye when the object is at close reading distance. In general, for distance objects the new lens implant does not need to change shape to focus the image, so the lens implant after the cataract surgery is able to perform that function without problem. After cataract surgery with standard lens implant, you will loss all your close-up reading ability without glass. However, all you will need is the over the counter (drug-store) reading glass of +2.75 to be able to read well at close-up, and then remove it when you need to reading distance object or during driving.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.