Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

the thin, clear layer on the outside of my eye(that covers

the thin, clear layer on the outside of my eye(that covers the white part) seems to be swollen. The eye looks very mildly irritated. When I look towards my nose, you can see like an extra layer of tissue, that would normally be flush against the eye. It almost looks like extra material that needs an alteration. Is this dangerous? Can I just wait a few days and see if it goes away?

The thin, clear layer you are referring to is called the conjunctiva. Conjunctivitis or inflammation of the conjunctiva can be due to allergies, dry eyes, or infection. You can try artificial tears and cool compresses to relieve the irritation first. If it worsens, associated with pain or decrease vision, then it is recommend you see your eye doctor for an evaluation.

Please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for assisting you.