Dr. JP
Dr. JP, Ophthalmology, Oculoplastic Surgery
Experience:  Harvard Medical School, Massachussetts Eye and Ear

My mother has had a spasmatic cough for over 2 months. She

My mother has had a spasmatic cough for over 2 months. She went to the doctor who gave her an inhaler but since she has gone through 3 inhalers. She was also diagnosed with dry eye about a month ago and told to put hot compresses on her eyes every night (which she did not do consistently). Today she was out driving when a cloudy film covered over her eye, almost redish color but no irritation. She can not see out of that eye because it is very cloudy. When she tried to cover the irritated eye it caused her problems in her good eye. What can she put on her eye tonight to help until she sees the doctor in the morning.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. JP replied 6 years ago.

Cloudy vision in an older patient is a good reason to seek an ophthalmic visit soon. I'd see someone quickly, meaning tonight, if she is having vision loss, headaches, temple pain, jaw fatigue with chewing foods, shoulder, upper leg fatigue, muscle aches, has recently been ill as this could be an entity know as Giant Cell Arteritis and can run a rapid course and cause significant visual compromise. It typically occurs in one eye but can progress to the other eye within 1 day. If this were my family member I'd encourage rapid response to the ER that has ophthalmic coverage and request an ESR, CRP, CBC with platelet blood test to see if there are inflammatory markers and physical exam findings suggestive of this entity, GCA (giant cell arteritis). This diagnosis is very high on the list and should be ruled out.

Other causes could be macular degeneration, hypertensive retinal changes, non-arteritic ischemic optic neuropathy.

Please hit accept button, if I can help further let me know

For tonight I would go to ER, waiting could be a problem.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

My mother does not have any of these symptoms. Just one cloudy blurry eye and spasmatic coughing which seems to have subsided since her eye got cloudy. So she is concerned about going to ER at night. No one to drive her and she lives in the country. She does not have any pain or discomfort. She said it looks like something is floating in her eye in 3D but she can't rub it out. But it is not irritating. Could she wait until the morning. These symptoms you named above made her upset because she doesn't have any of them but now is scared that she might get that in the middle of the night because you said this.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
My mother has none of the symptoms he named.
Expert:  Dr. JP replied 6 years ago.

Wasn't trying to scare anyone but just listing symptoms that if you had you should go to ER. If all she has is a floater in her vision and some blur I would think that she as a PVD (posterior vitreous detachment) which is due to degeneration and dehisence of the jelly of the eye. This is a normal process of gravity and age. I think if she doesn't have any of the symptoms that I described earlier then she can wait till morning to she her eye physician.