Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

I really wanted to know why the FSM treatment does not seem

I really wanted to know why the FSM treatment does not seem to be a viable treatment for AMD. Is it a waste of time or a scam?? also is the difficulty of seeing in low light conditions normal for moderate AMD, and is there anything else i can do to improve it. I have I-Caps and am familiar with AREDS. are you familiar with Kondrots claims and his procedures for the 3day treatment at his office in Arizona using the frequency specific microcurrent unit. seems like they are recomending using a FSM unit to be purchased for 1500 to 3000 dollars as well as others advertising on the internet thx Jim
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 6 years ago.

I am not familiar with the term "FSM". Can you describe it in further detail?
Do you have a link on the internet for the product?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, go to google and type in "frequency specific microcurrent " or check Dr Kpndrot at ( ok ???
Expert:  Dr. James replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for the reply.

I was able to find Dr. Kondrot's website on FSM or Frequency Specific Microcurrent. He claims that it will do the following to the eye:

1) Increases the circulation to the eye
2) Stimulates the function of the retinal cells
3) Reduces scar tissue

Unfortunately, this treatment is not supported by the medical community. The claims for a "cure" of age related macular degeneration should be taken with caution.

Currently, high dose vitamin supplementation is the only treatment shown in large scale studies to help with the dry form of macular degeneration. For wet macular degeneration, newer injections of medicines in the eye have been shown to help.

You should discuss the severity of your macular degeneration with your ophthalmologist and tailor the treatment to your situation. FSM is not recommended, however.

Even though my answer was not quite what you were hoping for, please understand that my priority was to provide you with the most honest information. With that in consideration, I hope that you found my answer useful. Please click the green accept button so that I receive credit for my time.