Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

when a blood vessel breaks in an eye, with a small amount of

when a blood vessel breaks in an eye, with a small amount of pain or pressure and a headache over that eye, should you go to an Opthalmologist or Doctor for a checkup?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 4 years ago.

Where is the broken blood vessel located?
Do you have any decrease in vision?
Have you checked your blood pressure?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
its in my left , the darkest,biggest red is the the outer, as it moves towards the center it decreases in color. I have had this happenen in the past, but not for a few years, I dont have a decrease in vision and I have'nt had my blood pressure checked
Expert:  Dr. James replied 4 years ago.

Is it on the "whites" of the eye?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes
Expert:  Dr. James replied 4 years ago.

You likely have a subconjunctival hemorrhage. This happens when delicate blood vessels of the conjunctiva (clear covering of the eye) burst. This is very similar to a bruise, but redder because there is no skin overlying the blood. The bleeding is usually the result of minor trauma such as coughing or eye rubbing.

Though its appearance is alarming and appears dangerous, it is generally harmless. It can sometimes be due to elevated blood pressure, so I would recommend you check that as well. Seeing either your ophthalmologist or primary care doctor should be fine. Whom ever you can get in contact first.

Similar to a bruise, subconjunctival hemorrhage may take 1-2 weeks to reabsorb and go away. During that time, it may darken and change colors. That is expected and no need to worry. Worrisome symptoms are pain, decrease vision, or double vision. You should contact your ophthalmologist promptly if these occur.

Please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for assisting you.
Experience: Eye Physician and Surgeon