Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

I am beginning to see like a big grey like donut in my vision...It

I am beginning to see like a big grey like donut in my vision...It is dark gray shapes but I can barely see thru them and it is both eyes but the dark shapes are different shapes and then if I close my eyes I see these same shapes real white....can you help me?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 6 years ago.
You have a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes. Over time it liquefies and can sometimes clump together. When you look in the light, you see the shadows of these things and see them as floaters.

New floaters can be an indication of a retinal problem, such as a hole or tear. It is recommended you have a full dilated eye exam to check for any problems as soon as possible.

If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightening storm, arc of light), or a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. You would need to contact your ophthalmologist promptly in that case.

Please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for assisting you.