Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
25407765

I have developed a sudden pain in and around the eye and socket.

I have developed a sudden pain in and around the eye and socket. There is redness and a sensivity to light but no discharge.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer

A painful red eye could be due to uveitis / keratitis / glaucoma. Each of this has different findings in the eye on examination and very different treatment.

i) Uveitis - inflammation of the eye( iris) with redness , pain , photophobia and reduced vision. It is treated with steroid eye drops and cycloplegic eye drops. Also requires a battery of investigations including blood tests and x-rays.

ii) Keratitis - inflammation of the cornea with redness , very severe pain , photophobia and reduced vision. It is treated with antibiotic eye drops if bacterial in nature. It may be viral in nature and then requires anti-viral eye ointment. The exact diagnosis is made after a slit-lamp examination by an ophthalmologist.

iii) Glaucoma- the angle closure type causes severe eye pain , vomiting, headache, reduced vision with raised intraocular pressure. It is treated with anti-glaucoma drugs and miotics.

You can take an analgesic such as tab.Paracetamol 650 mg right now to reduce the pain and repeat after 8 hours if pain persists. You must get your eyes examined in detail by an ophthalmologist as early as possible on monday morning.

Thanks and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I do not have a reduction in vision, just had my glaucoma level in December which was fine and I am extremely myopic. Corrected vision is minus 11. Have had torn retinas corrected with laser
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is your diagnosis the same with the additional info listed above?

Thank you for the additional information

Myopia and retinal tears are not directly related to any painful condition of the eyes and may not have contributed to this episode of pain and redness of the eye. Since you have had a glaucoma check already few months back it may not be the cause.

Though ocular migraine can cause such sudden pain of the eye but it does not give rise to redness of the eye. I suggest you take the analgesic now and if symptoms persist in the morning then visit the ophthalmologist to get the cornea examined for uveitis/keratitis and if found normal then should be migraine.

Thanks and best wishes

Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince