Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince

performs drainage has deteriorated and become extremely narrow

Customer Question

I've been diagnosed with a severe problem with my eye(s) that requires surgery. The canal that performs drainage has deteriorated and become extremely narrow - I'm told that without the surgery, it would mean ultimate blindness. The surgery is laser and I'm told it is very quick and is done in the surgeon's office. My understanding is that it creates a new drainage area. I should also say that I have severe dry eye complications and use drops, especially in my right eye.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer

If there is a drainage problem in the eye due to narrowing , it is likely to be chronic dacryocystitis. It causes excessive watering of the eyes but not blindness for sure. It is treated by endonasal DCR ( dacryocystorhinostomy ) , done with endoscopy through the nasal route and it creates a new drainage route for the eye, and is a safe procedure. For dry eyes you can put Refresh tears eye drops 4 times a day.

Thanks and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am already using the doctor recommended eye drops - my physician says this condition is structural and has nothing to do with my dry eye condition. The problem is occurring in both eyes, but is close to severe in the right eye (which is also the eye that is not producing any moisture (he did a test on both eyes and the right eye is extremely dry producing almost no moisture). He says the structural problem is deteriorating and will definitely cause ultimate blindness. He is quite a well-regarded doctor here in New York. I'm confused about having a drainage problem when my eyes are so dry.

Thank you for replying

Those with drainage problem in the eyes seldom suffer from dry eyes due to the excessive moistening of the eyes. In fact one of the treatment modalities for severe dry eyes is closure of the puncta with punctal plugs either temporarily or permanently.

Can you please tell the diagnosis which was made for this structural problem in the eye causing drainage problem. You are right in getting confused as dry eyes and defective drainage are conflicting conditions and are unlikely to co-exist in the same eye.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I can't remember the diagnosis name - the physician did a test which showed me a sample picture of what was a normal structure and one specifically of my structure. The normal structure showed a wide triangular structure - my picture showed an extremely narrow triangle, the angle almost closed at the outer corner of the eye and extremely. He also showed me the left eye, which was narrower than the "normal" sample picture - about half the angle distance - but was still less open than would be normal.

I'm trying to recall exactly - the wide end of the triangle might have been toward the inner part of my eye. All I can say is that where the widest part of the triangle should have been like the "normal" sample - mine was severely narrow.

Any drainage problem will have to be at the inner corner of the eye as that is where the lacrimal apparatus is situated. Simple photographs of the eye do not help in diagnosis. A dye test called Dacrycystography will help to localize the exact area of narrowing or stricture in the lacrimal apparatus. Before you undergo any laser procedure , you must know about the diagnosis and how the procedure will help. I suggest you enquire about the exact problem first before you undergo any thing from your ophthalmologist or rather get a second opinion if things are not clear from him.

Thanks and best wishes

Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince

It could be narrow angles on gonioscopy and your ophthalmologist must have advised for a laser iridotomy. In this condition the fluid within the eye is unable to exit normally so another opening has to be made which can be done with the help of laser. And yes , if not treated on time there are chances for the eye to go blind in the later stages of the disease.
It is a short office procedure and can be done very quickly. Invariably both eyes need the treatment .

Thanks and best wishes

Dr.A.S.Desai

Please do not press the accept button again as you have already done so