Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

my husband uses a prednisone eye drop for recurring eye issues.

my husband uses a prednisone eye drop for recurring eye issues. Unfortunately he has run out on a weekend. Without an ER visit he is without medication until Monday. Any ideas on how to treat until then? Red, swollen and very painful. I believe it is infected. He is a frequent non-steroid eye drop user. I think the bottles become contaminated and he continues to use them, resulting in the recurring eye issues.

Welcome to Just Answer

Eye conditions which are treated with steroid eye drops for recurrent redness could be recurrent uveitis or recurrent allergic conjunctivitis. Till you get a new prescription , the pain can be reduced with oral medications such as tab. diclofenac 50 mg twice a day till pain subsides. There are no over the counter eye medicines available for either of these conditions.

Belladona based eye drop will contain atropine which is used in the treatment of uveitis and gives rest to the eye but will not reduce the inflammation as such. It is better to use it only if prescribed as its mydriatic effect lasts for almost 2 weeks and it makes near vision very poor due to cycloplegic effect.

If he has had allergic conjunctivitis ( if mentioned by the treating doctor earlier or if symptoms of itching is also present) then Zaditor eye drops can help ( available OTC ), twice a day. He can go for an eye check up on monday or earlier to ER is symptoms worsen inspite of Tab.Diclofenac and Zaditor eye drops.

Thanks and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.