Dr. PG
Dr. PG, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Ophthalomology)

I am on 1500MG of Xeloda morning and night for cancer - since

Customer Question

I am on 1500MG of Xeloda morning and night for cancer - since I have been on this medican my eyes are itching, burning, and they produce water all of the time - I would really like to know what is wrong with them for with each passing day it is getting harder and harder for me to see - I know I should see an eye doctor but I have no money to pay for one - I am 66 years old - I have have to pay all of monthly bills with a S.S. check each month which is only 474.00 - so sorry I can't pay - my email address [email protected] - thanks for your time
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. PG replied 6 years ago.

Eye inflammation, irritation and watering is one of the side effects of Xeloda. The ideal treatments is to use anti-inflammatory or mild steroid eye drops after consulting an Ophthalmologist. But in the meantime, you can use lubricating eye drops (optive/refresh tears/systane) and decongestant eye drops like (naphacon-A/visine). These eye drops are available over the counter.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Expert:  Dr. PG replied 6 years ago.

I have requested the moderators on the website for a refund of your money.

Let me make somethings clear, only a qualified Ophthalmologist can give you the treatment advise that I provided and not 'anyone'. This is an online website. We are at a disadvantage of not being able to examine the patient first hand also, we can only advise treatment based on the drugs available over the counter. This is not a substitute for a first hand evaluation by doctor and writing prescription medicines.