Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

I had surgery 2 days ago for a detached retina. I cannot reach

I had surgery 2 days ago for a detached retina. I cannot reach my Dr. and today my eye hurts a lot and is swollen. Is this usual and what can I do for it?

Welcome to Just Answer

Retinal lesions are painless , so the pain and swelling is not due to any problem with the retina. Since the soft tissue and sclera are handled during retinal surgery, it is likely due to their inflammation. You can take combination of tab. diclofenac 50 mg + paracetamol 500 mg , 1 tab twice a day for 5 days. If swelling is very severe you will need tab.serratiopeptidase 10 mg twice a day for first three days in addition. If symptoms do not subside by two days , then it could be cellulitis which will require oral antibiotics and can consult your eye doctor by then.

You need to continue with the steroid eye drops ( like prednisolone ) as prescribed post-operatively.

Thanks and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Today I am 2 days post-operative; my wife made a dinner appointment for tomorrow night, is it ok for me to go? What is the level of activity I can perform?
For scleral buckling surgery , there is no post-op restriction for activity or movement. These are applicable only if there is a gas bubble too , which may require strict positioning of the head for a stipulated time. Since there is no bubble put in your case there is no restriction of routine daily chores or going out. But if your symptoms worsen then you need to call your doctor immediately.

Do not press the accept button again as you have already done so.