Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

For a child who loses vision every 3-6mo isnt that a concern

Customer Question

For a child who loses vision every 3-6mo isn't that a concern? Who is now -6.00 has positive ANA, Joint pain, sensitive to lights, migraines, stomach aches, fatigue, dry eye syndrome, apthous ulcers, butterfly rash.. 14yrs old and been this way forever except rash started in 2007. Would she see opthalmology or rheumatology for this? We want her diagnosed, but we just get passed around to different doctors.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer

With this kind of history , I would be concerned about the child having Uveitis ( kind of inflammation of the eyes which presents with redness, pain, photophobia ). It is likely that all her symptoms may fit in a syndrome which could be auto-immune in nature. I would suggest she gets her eyes examined for uveitis by an ophthalmologist first , who will get all the needed investigations done. She may then be referred to rheumatology for her other symptoms.

She needs to continue restasis for dry eyes.

Thanks and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

For the past 5+yrs she has been seen by Opthalmologist every 6mo and checked for uveitis and iritis. She has been worked up for lupus, cancer, and JRA but it all stopped in 2007. We moved and doctor's didn't believe her eventho she has been like this since birth.

Now we moved again, and seh was seen by Opthalmology who didn't want to see any of her past medical records, nor all her lab work ups. ANA 1:640, ESR 23 (during flare up) etc,, didn't believe me her vision changes every 3-6mo we were told thats very rare. And told us not to come back until 1yr later. I told her how frequent my daughter was seen in the past, but she said no don't bring her back before 1yr or she will refuse to see us. Without glasses my daughter can't see and it gets worse every 3-6mo. Would she have some kind of eye disease or would we have to have her seen thru Rheumatology to actually get her diagnosed with something?

From the symptoms provided, the reasons for frequent change in her vision could be-

i) High myopia due to enlarging eyeball- have seen children accepting glassses as frequent as 6- 8 months. In your case, if she improves her vision with changed glasses each time then it confirms that the reduced vision is due to myopia

ii) Juvenile diabetes- another condition where vision fluctuates due to frequent change in blood sugar levels. It requires fasting , post prandial sugar levels and Hb1Ac for past control of blood sugar levels.

If the ophthalmologist is not keen to see her, getting her examined for her other symptoms like joint pain, aphthous ulcers and fatigue from rheumatologist will help as there is positive ANA too. Blood sugar test is a basic investigation and can be recommended here too to rule outjuvenile diabetes.

Thanks and best wishes