Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

I have mucuous in my left eye mostly, with redness. This has

Customer Question

I have mucuous in my left eye mostly, with redness. This has been ongoing for over a couple of years now. I have seen the optometrist. He just said to use baby shampoo to rinse my eyelid out and it should clear up along with the redness, but is has not. I do not know wht to do, or what and why it is. Thankyou
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 6 years ago.

I agree with your optometrist that you likely have dry eyes and blepharitis. The lid scrubs with the baby shampoo is good advice and I recommend you continue this twice a day. In addition you should use non-preservative artificial tears frequently 4-6 times a day.

You may also benefit from an antibiotic ointment or antibiotic pill in addition to the above treatments. Talk to you doctor about this.

Please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for assisting you.