Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince

my husband has been so miserable with watery itchy burning

Customer Question

my husband has been so miserable with watery itchy burning eyes. His eye dr has prescribed azasite & neomyin polymyxinb sulfates and pexamethasone opthalmic ointment
, natural tears, restasis. The eye Dr says that my husband has dry eyes & the oil glands in his eyes are infected and told him to massage them twice daily to get the excess oil out of the glands. (He also has my husband on an oral antibiotic) Do you know of anything he could do or suggest to his Dr so that he isn't so miserable all the time. Also for many times throughout the day his vision is so blurry he can't see. We don't know what to do.
He has been to his eye Dr many times recently but everytime he goes they just give him something else to put in his eye and they don't offer much information like how long it takes to heal. Anything at all you can tell us would be greatly appreciated. MS
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer

For the symptoms given above , the diagnosis and treatment given seems correct. Both dry eyes and meibomitis( infected oil glands) take time to respond and may need treatment for longer. Dry eyes can be due to local eye factors such prolonged reading/ viewing computer or television for long hours / chronic contact lens wear. There can be systemic factors such as Keratoconjunctivitis Sicca due to autoimmune Sjogren's syndrome and needs more vigorous treatment such temporary punctal plugs for retention of tears. If it responds then permanent plugs can be put.

Meibomitis responds to the above treatment earlier say within a week or two as a course of antibiotics is given.

Other causes for blurred vision should be checked routinely such as any change in glasses prescription( an optometrist can help with this) , Any recent change in blood sugar levels( fasting and post-prandial blood sugar test). If it was normal 6 months back then no need to repeat the test.

Thanks and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.