Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist

My father had awakened @ 01 30 with the bulging of one eye

My father had awakened @ 01:30 with the bulging of one eye and screaming in pain. My mother had taken him to a VA hospital. Observed for 2 days;transferred to Denver VA. Removed tumor of pituitary gland then expired suddendly two days later. What could have caused the eye bulging and pain. All I know is what my mother told me. (My father was 78yrs.old) Any answers would be greatly appreciated. ThankYou Rose Lavender

Hello there

I am sorry for your loss. Most likely there was vascular invasion by the tumor which caused a sudden bleed in the eye socket or just behind it. Essentially a blood vessel burst and caused compression behind the eye and caused it to bulge, vision loss, pain, etc. Again, I am sorry for the loss of your father, Regards XXXXX XXXXX