Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

how safe are non prescription colored contacts i really want

Customer Question

how safe are non prescription colored contacts?? i really want to wear them on a daily basis, it that possible without damaging my eyes?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 6 years ago.

It is illegal to sell contact lens without a prescription. That means the contacts you have cannot be assured to be legitimate from the manufacturer. The main reason to have contact lenses regulated is to ensure that they fit properly and bought through legal channels to ensure sterility. The greatest risk is from corneal infections which can lead to blindness if not treated properly.

I'd recommend you get an eye exam to check for the overall health and ensure that there has not been any damage from your non-prescription contact lenses.

Please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for assisting you.