Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon

My 6.5 yr old son complained that he thought something got

Customer Question

My 6.5 yr old son complained that he thought something got into his eye this afternoon on the playground at school. He saw the school nurse and was discharged with a cold compress. A few hours later, after still complaining to his teacher about his eye bothering him, he went back to the nurse. When I picked him up from school, he complained that he couldn't open his eye because it hurt when he tried to open it. It appears red. I cannot see any obvious foreign object. He is complaining that it burns when he tries to open it. Should I be visiting the emergency room tonight, or call my eye doc in the am? Thanks.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer:

It is likely that he has a foreign particle in his eye causing irritation, inflammation, redness and pain. I suggest that you irrigate his eye with clean water (tap or distilled water). I suggest that you follow-up in the ER center for closer evaluation if the pain continues or worsens. However, in the meantime, I suggest that you instill over the counter Refresh tears or Genteal drop (preservative free tear drop) every 1 into the affect eye while awake, and the instill the Refresh gel into the eye at bedtime. For comfort and reduced pain, you should use over the counter Zaditor eye drop 4 times daily.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.