Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

My daughter has been recently diagnosed with a lazy eye. We

My daughter has been recently diagnosed with a lazy eye. We are getting her glasses and will patch her eye for 2 hours per day, but the two doctors we saw have different opinions on follow up. The one doctor says to wear the glasses for 6 weeks before we begin to patch and we may need to get eye exams every 6 weeks to check her progress and possibly change the glasses to a new prescription. The other doctor said to start patching the eye right away with the glasses on and make a follow up appointment in about 3 months. I want to do what is right for my 5 year old, but don't want to spend too much money out of pocket.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 6 years ago.

Are both doctors optometrist or ophthalmologist?
Why is it that you are seeing two different doctors for the same problem?
Who was the one who wrote the prescription for the eyeglasses?
In her lazy eye, was she only able to read the big letters or was she able to read some of the smaller letters?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

They are both optometrists from the same office..

I just wanted a second opinion.

They both wrote prescriptions - about the same, but a little different.

The first time she could only read the big E - the second time she could read the big E and the two letters next to it - that's it.

Expert:  Dr. James replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for the additional information.

Lazy eye is also called amblyopia. The goal of treatment is to patch the "good" eye to force your daughter to use the "bad" eye. Being only able to see the big E tells me the amblyopia is severe.

With that severity of amblyopia, I would be more cautious and opt for the 6 week followup to check to see if the treatment is helping any. There is only a limited time frame where the eye can be improved usually up until 7-9 years old. So, delaying treatment could cause her to lose this window of opportunity to recovery any vision.

Please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for assisting you.