Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

what is a retinal tear

what is a retinal tear
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 6 years ago.

A retinal tear is simply that, a defect or tear in the retina.

The retina is a thin layer of tissue covering the inside surface of the eyeball. It is responsible for catching the light and sending the signals back to your brain -- allowing you to see. The retina is attached to different structures inside the eye. One such structure is called the "vitreous" which can pull on the retina and causing tears.

A retinal tear if left untreated can lead to a retinal detachment and cause you to lose vision. A laser procedure can be done to seal the hole and help prevent a retinal detachment. Every retinal tear is different so I would trust the opinion of the doctor who diagnosed it.

If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightening storm), or a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. You would need to contact your ophthalmologist as soon as possible in that case.

Please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for assisting you.