Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon

i noticed a red patch on my left eye..blood vessel..slight pain

I am a diabetic woman, couple of days ago i noticed a red patch on my left eye. Its like burst blood vessel. Hasn't got any worse but there is a slight pain or discomfort there. Should I be worried?

Welcome to Just Answer:

It is likely that you have ruptured small blood vessel on the white part of the eye (subconjunctival bleed). This is common, and not harmful. This will resolve with time in about 2 weeks, especially with the use over the counter preservative free tear drop such as Refresh or Genteal drop 4 times daily. For comfort or reduced pain you can use over the counter Zaditor eye drop twice daily as needed. If this fails to resolve in 2 weeks, or worsen at any time, or you experience any floater, flashes or eye pain, I suggest that you follow-up with your eye doctor for closer evaluation with dilated eye exam.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.