Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon
25472284

how many microns does intraLasek take from your cornea ?

Customer Question

Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer:

Between 90 - 100 um (microns) for flap, then for each (1) diopter 1power 10 um stromal bed is removed. So, for -3.0 = 95 + 30 = 125 microns. For -2.0 = 95 + 20 = 115 microns.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience: Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I went for a consultation with a surgeon in Dallas who does intraLasik IntraLase FS laser technology, he told me 40 microns !! I am trying to explain his answer with yours, is that even possible with the given technology and my myopia and astigmatism condition.

Do you have an explaination to his answer?
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 4 years ago.
Thank you so much:

The 95 microns in my answer is for flap (corneal flap which will be put back on the cornea after the laser treatment). So, the net removal is about 35 microns for the -3.0, and 25 microns for the -2.0. Overall, the 40 microns is about right. The exact number will only be determined after careful evaluation.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

So when he said 40 microns, he just meant the correction without the flap. So whats the issue with the flap if it is going to be put back ? You did not loose 95 microns of cornea, right? you just had it aside?

And another question (if you dont mind of course), how do you compare intra-lasek with no-touch prk? I visited a surgeon who said he can will remove 60 microns of cornea for my treatment with prk.
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 4 years ago.
Thank you so much:

Yes, the eye doctor meant without the flap.

The cornea epithelium and some stroma is partially removed to allow treatment of the corneal stroma. You do not loose the 95 microns.

With no touch PRK the corneal epithelium is scraped off around the central cornea to allow treatment - it is painful in the first 2-4 days. The result is same after 4 days. The advantage is that it's good for persons small amount of cornea to allow for full flap.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

In an intralasek treatment, when you mention 95 microns of flap is partially removed then put back, will it function the same as before its removal (or will it be a useless flap layer on top of the stroma). Let's say I happen to need another surgery, will another 95 microns need to be partially removed and put back. From your experience, how do you evaluate the stability of the cornea after the flap?
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 4 years ago.
Thank you so much:

The corneal flap heals back completely and function as normal. It is very stable. If another enhancement surgery is desired in the same eye, if within few months, same flap can be lifted, but if more than a year, a new flap of 95 microns can be created with no problem. This is a common scenario, and not harmful, and does not affect vision.