Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince

My 5 year old daughter has had no problems with colors but

My 5 year old daughter has had no problems with colors but suddenly today she had different jewelery rings with different colors (either pink, green, red or yellow) on each of her fingers and she had no idea what each of the colors was when I asked. She was guessing pink, green, red and yellow but half the time was wrong. At the same time she had no problem pointing out the same colors in her surroundings in the room so it seems like the fact they were all there close to each other for some reason confused her senses. The problem went away after a minute or so and she seemed to be able to tell the colors again (or was she remembering the colors I had told her?). In any event the inability to tell the colors was so sudden and so striking I am worried about what it was and whether she has some kind of brain difficulty. Lately she seems to be having difficulty with emotions and some signs of what I think may be ADHD but otherwise is normal. I would appreciate any thoughts.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer

I understand your apprehension in this regard.

Since your daughter had problems identifying colours for a brief period, Surely she has no colour vision problem. Since she was earlier able to distinguish and identify the colours correctly, one thing is sure that there has been no developmental problem. It must have been a brief lack of concentration which got corrected once she paid attention to what you were asking.

You have been very observant in noting the recent changes in her behaviour and suggest you continue with it . As she is otherwise a normal child , it is less likely that she is having any organic lesion in the brain. In case you need to know what to observe in future , you can just take the help of this link -

Thanks and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.