Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon

I have a white blob in left upper eye lid last week I was told

Customer Question

I have a white blob in left upper eye lid last week I was told I had floaters in both my eyes they stay over my vision most of the time would that have anything to do with this problem .I notice this on Sat. morning when I got up. I would appreciate any advice you could give. My Dr. did tell me to keep check on my left eye he did not tell me why I needed to do that.I should have asked but like most people we just take what they tell us and don,t ask questions.Thank you

Betty McLaurin
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer:

The white blob on the left upper eyelid is likely an eyelid cyst. It is not related to the floaters in the eyes. The cyst will resolve with the application of warm/hot compresses to the area twice daily, and use of preservative free tear drops such as Refresh or Genteal 4 times daily. The floaters is likely caused by posterior vitreous detachment (PVD). In general with age, the clear gel inside the eye (vitreous) tend to melt in pockets, causing sensation of floaters and some times flashes. This is common with age, and usually not harmful. However, if it becomes severe and affects your daily function, then the retinal eye specialist can decide to removed the melted vitreous inside the eye. It is important to monitor your eyes for frequency of the floaters and report to your eye doctor if it gets worse, so that you can be evaluated to exclude any other problem such as retinal detachment.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.