Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

I had cataract surgery and 3 mos. after I had a retina tear

I had cataract surgery and 3 mos. after I had a retina tear in one eye that was fixed with laser surgery. I now have continuous floaters (clouds) in that eye. Is there anything I can do about the floaters. It has been 7 months since the repair.

Karen [email protected]
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer

Floaters in the eye could be due to Posterior vitreous detachment in which the gel at the back of the eye gets detached from its surrounding . It is harm less and does not require any further management. The retinal tear has been fixed with laser hence very unlikely to progress into a detachment of the retina. If the floaters are few and tolerable then you need to leave it alone. But if the floaters are many and hinder with your daily routine then you may consider undergoing vitrectomy by a vitreo-retinal surgeon. There is no other treatment available for floaters such as medicines.

Thanks and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

One last question...my doctor said that he could improve my eye sight (it's not 20/20) since I do not see perfectly after the cataract surgery & the retina tear by doing a laser procedure. He said that we should wait another 6 months (that would be 1 year since the tear) for the laser touch up. I believe he said that there are pockets in the back of the eye that he would close with the laser. Is this a typical procedure to do after cataract surgery -- fine tune with laser?

Karen

If your ophthalmologist has said that he can improve your vision by doing laser after 6 months , he probably feels that the post operative reduced vision could be due to formation of posterior capsular opacification also called after cataract. It is usually treated by doing Nd YAG laser capsulotomy. Though it is not a routine procedure after every cataract surgery but is done if any opacification is seen.

But if he feels there are pockets at the back of the eye which need to be closed with laser, then he could be referring to posterior vitreous detachment. Since this may at times cause traction on the retina and result in retinal tears, which need to be sealed with lasers. It is better to seal these retinal tears so that they do not progress to retinal detachment. Since it is not an emergency it can be done electively later as suggested by your doctor.

Thanks and best wishes