Dr.S Riaz
Dr.S Riaz, Ophthalmologist

How do you diangose ophthalmic shingles and your advice and

How do you diangose ophthalmic shingles? and your advice and prognosis?

The diagnosis of shingles of the eye is usually based on the presence of the characteristic rash and pain. Usually no tests are required. However, if there is a doubt then diagnosis can be confirmed by identifying the virus from the fluid in the rash. Shingles of the eye(herpes zoster ophthalmicus) can involve different structures of the eye like lids, sclera, conjunctiva, cornea etc. An examination by an ophthalmologist is therefore important to see what structures are involved as this influences the management also. Treatment involves local wound care, anti-viral agents like acyclovir, pain killers, anti-biotics for secondary bacterial infection, lubricants etc. Oral acyclovir may help to reduce the duration, severity and complications of this infection. It should be started within 72 hours of the onset of skin lesions. In some cases oral steroids may also be prescribed. My sincere advise to you is to see an ophthalmologist as shingles of the eye is a serious issue and early treatment is important. I hope, you understand. Thanks and best wishes.

Follow-up questions are most welcome.

Please, click the ACCEPT BUTTON so that I can get my dues. BONUS and a POSITIVE FEEDBACK will be appreciated.