Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince

My mother is 76 and 3years ago was diagnosed at Froedtert Eye

My mother is 76 and 3years ago was diagnosed at Froedtert Eye Institute with Fundus flavimaculatus a form of Stargart disease. She is now legally blind and seems to be losing even more vision which has put her in a severe depression. She is otherwise in very good health, is there any help out there for her?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer

Fundus flavimaculatus is a autosomal recessive( genetic) condition of the eye in which certain abnormalities are seen at the back of the eye( retina). Invariably the condition remains asymptomatic and is discovered by chance around the 5th or 6th decade of life. The visual deterioration occurs when the foveola( centre of retina ) is involved and is permanent in nature. There is no known treatment as of now . The vision cannot be improved with drugs or glasses or surgery. But if she has some useful near vision , she can try low visual aids which help to magnify the near objects and can make reading or viewing near objects easier. It cannot though improve the distance vision. Ultimately it all depends on the extent of damage of the foveola.

Thanks and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.