Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon
25472284

My left eye started hurting two days ago, turned extremely

My left eye started hurting two days ago, turned extremely red and discharged quite a bit of mucus. The next morning I had to pry my eye open and clean it. It is still red but seems to be getting better. Today my right eye appears to be starting the the same process. I have a headache as well (front above both eyes. Near sighted blurness also exists. Any advice?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer:

It appears that you are experiencing the symptoms of conjunctivitis, which can be either due to viral, allergic or bacterial cause. To determine to nature of of the conjunctivitis, I suggest that you follow-up with your eye doctor for closer evaluation under the slit-lamp. The treatment of these would differ depending on the cause. In the meantime, in addition to eye wash and cold compresses, I suggest that you use over the counter Zaditor eye drop 4 times daily to help reduce the inflammation and discomfort. If this is viral cause, then it could be contagious, and require that you avoid contact with others with a contaminated hand. If it is bacterial cause, then antibiotics drops such as Vigamox would be needed along with oral antibiotics like Augmentin or cephalexin.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.