Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince

one eye which is very bloodot also quiet painful and a headache..eye

I have one eye which is very bloodot also quiet painful and a headache just above said eye what should I do

Welcome to Just Answer

A painful red eye could be due to uveitis / keratitis / glaucoma. Each of this has different findings in the eye on examination and very different treatment.

i) Uveitis - inflammation of the eye( iris) with redness , pain , photophobia and reduced vision. It is treated with steroid eye drops and cycloplegic eye drops. Also requires a battery of investigations including blood tests and x-rays.

ii) Keratitis - inflammation of the cornea with redness , very severe pain , photophobia and reduced vision. It is treated with antibiotic eye drops if bacterial in nature. It may be viral in nature and then requires anti-viral eye ointment. The exact diagnosis is made after a slit-lamp examination by an ophthalmologist.

iii) Glaucoma- the angle closure type causes severe eye pain , vomiting, headache, reduced vision with raised intraocular pressure. It is treated with anti-glaucoma drugs and miotics.

If the eye is blood shot, but painless or with some discomfort then it can be a sub-conjunctival hemorrhage which is a harmless condition and resolves on its own. If the painless redness is associated with watering or discharge then it could be a conjunctivitis.

An early examination by ophthalmologist is required if the eye is painful apart from the redness.

Thanks and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.

Edited by Dr. A.S. Desai on 5/2/2010 at 9:18 AM EST

You need an eye examination for the diagnosis only then the specific treatment can be started. Till then you can take tab.paracetamol 650 mg twice a day till pain subsides and put Refresh tears eye drops 4 times a day for soothening. Both these medicines are only for symptomatic treatment.

Thanks and regards

PS- Do not press the accept button as you have already done so .