Dr.S Riaz
Dr.S Riaz, Ophthalmologist

Hi Docs I know this is not a medical emergency. However,

Customer Question

Hi Doc's

I know this is not a medical emergency. However, I have small puffiness under my eyes. I have recently started reaserching this topic and have concluded surgery seems to be the only remedy to this problem. I am sure my research is quite incomplete. I would appreciate if anyone can tell me if there are other procedures available and/or newer types of surgery.

I am concerned the Doctor taking out to much fat under my eyes. I have seen this result on friends and it is not a desirable outcome.

I have no wrinkles and I am pretty fit (work out 4 days a week). I am 5'7" and weigh 130. No, I certainly could be more toned. However, I digress I am 51 years old (retired attorney complex litigation).

I know part of the cause may be related to water retention and thyroid problems. I do take synthroid and my blood results do fluctuate to the extent my doctor regually adjusts my dosage. I occasionally take a dyazide pill. To be honest it does remove some of the puffiness (not all).
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 6 years ago.

Puffiness around eyes may be caused by allergies, sleep deprivation or sleeping too much, hypothyroidism, skin disorders, excessive salt intake, fluid retention etc. You need to see a dermatologist/ophthalmologist to rule out conditions like allergies or skin disorders. If allergies or skin disorders is the cause then treating them is very likely to help you. If it's hereditary then it will be very difficult to treat them. Apart from this you should have a healthy lifestyle, consume less alcohol, salt, take adequate sleepetc. You may have to go for a surgical option like blepharoplasty. You can see a plastic surgeon in this regard for evaluation. He can give you an idea of what to expect after this surgery after examining you.Thanks and best wishes.

Please, click the ACCEPT BUTTON so that I can get my dues. BONUS and a POSITIVE FEEDBACK will be appreciated.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Your answer was pathetic!