Dr. Chan
Dr. Chan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified in ophthalmology

I have sore eyes with small discharge in the mornings, my eyes

I have sore eyes with small discharge in the mornings, my eyes itch with crawling sensation, the soreness concentrates to the tear ducts and opposite corner, there is slight swelling and bruising to the area under the eyes, I have experienced this condition for 12weeks. I have used anti-biotic eye drops followed by anti-biotic ointment, these did not alliviate the condition.
I am a female and 64 years old.
Can you help.
Many thanks.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Chan replied 6 years ago.

When you said that the soreness concentrates to the tear ducts, do you mean on the inner corners?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, the soreness is concentrated to the Tear ducks in the inner corner of the eyes.
Expert:  Dr. Chan replied 6 years ago.

Sorry for the delay. It sounds like you are suffering from allergies/sinus. This would be consistent with the itching, discharge, and discoloration under the eyes. Since the tear ducts drain into the same area in the back of the throat that the sinuses drain into, when this area is swollen, it can stop up the tear ducts and cause them to swell and be sore.

You need to be treated for sinus/allergies with Zyrtec or Allegra or Claritin. If this doesn't work, sometimes we use short doses of steroids.

Hope this helps and thank you.