Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince

I accidentally put drops of ear wax remover in my eye instead

I accidentally put drops of ear wax remover in my eye instead of eye drops. I just grabbed the wrong bottle by mistake. I immediately flushed my eye out with water and am using lubricating eye drops to help with the irriation. My eye is red/irritated but I can see fine. Is there anything else I should do or watch for?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer

This amounts to a chemical injury which is treated by thorough eye wash with copious amount of sterile water( immediate wash with water ) followed by assessment of ph of the tear film so that eye wash is continued till neutral ph is attained. Then the extent of injury is assessed by checkinh out the cornea and surrounding limbus. If injury present , steroid eye drops are given 6 times a day only for the first week beyond which it is stopped. Lubricating eye drops are continued for 2 weeks.

Since the vision is normal in your case, it is likely that the cornea is not affected. You have done the right thing by washing the eye immediately and started lubricating eye drops.But a detailed eye check up is essential to look up for the actual signs which might be very subtle and not visible to naked eye.It is better to get the eye examined by an ophthalmologist.

Thanks and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.