Dr. JP
Dr. JP, Ophthalmology, Oculoplastic Surgery
Experience:  Harvard Medical School, Massachussetts Eye and Ear

Ive had a lazy/droopy right eye that is slightly lower than

I've had a lazy/droopy right eye that is slightly lower than the left for quite a few months. I have undifferentiated auto immune disease and a family history of auto-immune dis., an one brother who had a stroke at 32 and recovered. Do you think this could be an ischemic thing? I had a CT brain scan done after my son hit me in the head pretty hard about six months ago with a toy! It was normal. I am just wondering about this eye. I did have a baby 8 months ago and I have been suffering form post partum depression and take Klonopin, and now nortryotilene. The doc at the hospital also noticed the eye lower than the other. EKG's have been normal and Eco. Thanks
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. JP replied 6 years ago.

Ptosis comes comes in many flavors. The most common is a variant called aponeurotic ptosis which is a dehiscence of the fascia form the lid margin either from trauma or gravitational degeneration (aging). Another type is mechanical typically due to something weighing the lid down like excess skin, upper lid edema, hemorrhage, tumor. Another is congential but this is note from childhood and would of been diagnosed by now. Another is neurogenic ptosis and has many causes such an cranial nerve III palsy, trauma, horner's syndrome. Lastly there is myogenic cause in which the muscle has a problem like myotonic dystrophy, chronic progressive external ophthalmoplegia, oculopharyngeal dystropy, or myasthenia gravis. A good examination of the lids will help sort out the cause fairly easily. I don't normally get a CT scan unless I not some difference in eye prominence suggestive of proptosis or enophthalmos. Anyway I try to sort this out for you.

Do you have other symptoms at the time of the lid drooping like headache, face pain, neck pain?

Do you have double vision?

What is your age?

How well do your eyes move from side to side, up and down?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Well I have a lot of muscle pain but not related to the eyelid drooping. I am 43, no double vision, vision sometimes a bit blurred, no problem moving lids but my head hurts when I move them, like the muscles in my forehead
Expert:  Dr. JP replied 6 years ago.

it quite possible you have a dehiscence of the aponeurosis tissue which connects the lid elevating muscle to the the lid margin tarsal plate. patient with this have droopy lid, but have good motility of the lid. this is due to the tissue connecting the muscle to the lid margin being attenuated or stretched out. i'd recommend an ophthalmology examination so this can be sorted out and will make you feel much better.

Expert:  Dr. JP replied 6 years ago.

is there anything else i can help you with? if not hit accept button