Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince

one of my eyes keeps going red this is the 3rd time in 8 wks

one of my eyes keeps going red this is the 3rd time in 8 wks last time i went to an optician he said it was bactierial conjunctivis and i put drops in (chloramphenical). I do not take any blood pressure meds but on last visit my doctor said my blood pressure was up a little. I am 59 years old and Female also overweight. I have just done 3mths of a liter life coarse, also aquafit class and gym. Yesterday morning my left eye was red again next week I am having blood tests (thyroid) and blood pressure taken again. I have thyroid antibodies. I also have sleep apnea.
I am not taking any medication at the moment other than salamol. I was taking qvar for allergy asthma but came off it (doctor knows) 4 weeks ago because of symptoms of cushings.
Is red eye symptom of blood pressure or Thyroid or cushing's syndrome?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 6 years ago.

If only one eye keeps going red then you need to get your eye evaluated further as it may not be just bacterial conjunctivitis. A red eye is not a symptom of hypertension ( raised blood pressure) or cushing's syndrome. It may be seen in thyroid eye disease but then it is associated with other eye signs like lid retraction( staring look), prominent eye ball(appears protruding) and redness of the eye is due exposure keratitis which is much later in the disease.

It would be better to get your eye tested by an ophthalmologist in order to check for other causes of red eye especially uveitis.

Thanks and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.

Welcome to Just Answer