Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist

I am a 64 year old male, pre-diabetic, bp 145/80, no heart

I am a 64 year old male, pre-diabetic, bp 145/80, no heart probllems, no vision problems, for some time I took viagra with only congestion and flushing as side effects. I took cialis in a small level in the 36 hour low level dose. After the third or fourth time within about 8 hours after taking it I had a floater in one eye and bright flashes. Within 24 hours I saw an opthalmologist who found nothing wrong and check the flashes again a month later and they are all but one. That was 8 months ago and I have not taken cialis or viagra since. I asked my general practitioiner if it is safe for me to take viagra again and he said that the eye issue was unrelated and to go ahead and take it again. Is he correct or should I ot take cialis? or viagra? or?? Please advise me.

hello there

you developed floaters and this was not related to your use of the meds you mentioned. There is a small risk of something called ischemic optic neuropathy, essentially a stroke of the optic nerve. This is the main issue we worry about, but yes he was right the floaters you developed are not related. Regards XXXXX