Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

My grandson was born without an iris in his eyes. Is this dangerour,

My grandson was born without an iris in his eyes. Is this dangerour, can it be fixed?

Is there any one else in the family with this condition?
Has he seen a pediatric ophthalmologist?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No one else has this condition. My daughter is his mother and says that it might be connected to a malignancy in or on his kidneys. I am terrified that this tiny baby has cancer. Please help me if you can.
Thank you for the additional information.

Your son has a condition called aniridia. This is a genetic disorder that results in poor develop of the eye structures, namely little or no iris tissue. In addition to the iris problems, there is often poor development of the retina with the possibility of poor vision.

In the sporadic form of aniridia, where there is no family history, there is a association with the WAGR syndrome. WAGR stands for:

W=Wilms tumor (kind of kidney tumor)
A=aniridia (maldevelopment of the eye tissue)
G=genitourinary abnormalities

A person with aniridia does not automatically have the other problems, but it is important to check for the others. As your grandson is seen by other doctors and under goes screening test, you will know more how serious the aniridia is and if he has the WAGR syndrome or not.

Here is a website regarding aniridia and WAGR.

Please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for assisting you.

Edited by Dr. James on 4/9/2010 at 3:53 AM EST