Dr. JP
Dr. JP, Ophthalmology, Oculoplastic Surgery
Experience:  Harvard Medical School, Massachussetts Eye and Ear

get as good a vision correction with contact lenses..lens

I have a friend who works in the fitness industry and needs to see well to orrect and cue clients. She doesn't get as good a vision correction with contact lenses as she does with glasses, but wearing glasses while she works is difficult. She has been looking at lens replacement surgery options, having heard of the new variable focus replacement lenses. however, several of the surgeons she contacted said that they either don't do this surgery for non-cataract patients, or have recently stopped doing it. Does anyone know why? Are there long term problems with the newer, variable focus replacement lenses?

Surgery on an eye that doesn't have a cataract is called clear lens extraction. This is a cosmetic procedure, in that is is being done to help a person see better but doens't have a qualifying diagnosis of cataract. This surgery has the potential risk of causing a retinal detachment thus surgeon are reluctant to put a patient at risk for this. There are other options such as Lasek/Lasik/PRK but would need a thorough eye exam to ensure that the patient has a cornea that would be amendable to these procedures. There are surgeons that do clear lens extractions. Would recommend finding an ophthalmologist who specializes in refractive surgery as they would be able to find plausible alternatives.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

thank you for this. My friend has been told that she isn't a candidate for LASIK due to an astigmatism. here is her prescription:

Dist: Sphere +4.25 Cylinder +1.00 Axis 135 degrees
Read: Sphere +6.25 Cylinder +1.00 Axis 135 degrees
Dist Sphere +3.25 Cylinder +0.75 Axis 170 degrees
Read: Sphere +5.25 Cylinder: +0.75 Axis 170 degrees.

can you think of any other alternatives that might be open to her? sometimes it's a case of knowing hte right question to ask...!!

On review of this refraction I don't feel their is very much astigmatism. The wavefront technology and new Lasek models should be able to deal with this. I'd recommend a second opinion to make sure this is correct. LASIK is a surgical procedure that uses a laser to correct nearsightedness, farsightedness, and astigmatism.

Another option would be phakic IOL. This is when an implantable lens is placed in front of the natural lens to correction vision. This wouldn't be a cataract surgery as the natural lens is left untouched. Possible complications would be scarring of the anterior part of the natural lens capsule thus obscuring the vision. Many modifications have been done to the lenses mitigating this compilcation.